Car-Free Headlands, thanks to the Republican Party

I rode Hawk Hill in the Headlands today, and what an eye-opening experience. Rather than a traffic-clogged photo-op, it was a peaceful vista to be savored and enjoyed. Walkers, hikers, cyclists were going up and down the hill, all smiling at the rare opportunity presented by the Federal shutdown... the shut-down of a national park service that is so car-centric it views "access" synonymous with "car access". I went to the summit then started descending the backside of Conzelman. As I turned a corner I saw two women slowly climbing the other way. My first reaction was "they're crazy", until a few seconds later it occurred to me... why not? The "narrow" road is plenty wide enough for bidirectional bike traffic. So when I reached the bottom I turned around and climbed it myself: ouch, that is steep. It's an opportunity I'm not likely to get again.

I strongly recommend checking it out. It's a chance to envision the potential of Hawk Hill -- something more than a traffic-clogged parking lot where people step out of their oversized vehicles, snap a few photos, then drive back down. I really wish the park service would realize that their version of "access" destroys the beauty of what they have the duty to protect.

One downer: I suffered dearly on that oh-so-steep climb of the Conzelman backside only to later upload my data and find the segment was flagged. The pain, the pain...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proposed update to the 1-second gap rule: 3-second gap

Post-Election Day

Marin Avenue (Berkeley)